Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am
Posts: 108
Location: Rockhampton, QLD, Aus
Attachment:
Datsun_510_Hood_Back_1024x1024.jpg
Datsun_510_Hood_Back_1024x1024.jpg [ 144.63 KiB | Viewed 2653 times ]

The idea i have in mind of balance and practicality while trying my very hardest to NOT put a suby bonnet scoop within viewing distance :D if i can avoid it... and i think i'll be ok with that.

As masterfully illustrated in the image above, that is the placement i was thinking of. Equal measure at the rear of the bonnet roughly where the majority of the heat will be. There are a couple of decent rodder clubs in the area so i will definitely have a chat to a couple of the guys and see what they think would be a good place to start looking.

I'd rather not do the bolt on thing if i can avoid it. would prefer it look like it was meant to be there... or at least not stand out like the proverbial.

_________________
The Gene Pool Needs More Chlorine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:54 pm
Posts: 1748
Location: Melbourne, VIC
agree with keeping away from the bolt-on look. If there's a way to make it look period-correct, I'm all for it.

Or you could take it back to the 90's with some Ford Cosworth or EF XR6 bonnet gills grafted in haha

_________________
build-threads.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:34 pm
Posts: 401
Location: sydney
Evo 3???


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am
Posts: 108
Location: Rockhampton, QLD, Aus
evo 3????

You asking have I seen the EVO 3 vents?
Attachment:
hailsevo3.jpg
hailsevo3.jpg [ 61.1 KiB | Viewed 2641 times ]

Like this kind of thing?

The small rectangle ones on the side would go good I think... the larger "inlet" one in the middle might be a bit much to look natural I think :( My original idea was something like the 7-9 Evo bonnet vent... mid bonnet, large single vent but... I've realized that I want to keep it "natural" looking....

_________________
The Gene Pool Needs More Chlorine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:28 pm
Posts: 5328
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Don't forget colour coding makes them blend in a little...

_________________
1972 Datsun 1600, S14 SR20DET Engineered (190-210kw @ 15-16psi.)
http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6579
M35 Axis Autech


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am
Posts: 108
Location: Rockhampton, QLD, Aus
SR20Datsun wrote:
Don't forget colour coding makes them blend in a little...


Yeah, Dead right. The plan is to paint the car a dark green so even if the vents are black, they'll not be too outstanding if I do them right. Just... need to find ones that will flow well enough but not stand out. If that ends up being the modified bonnet (louvers) or some small after market ones.

Nothing that is the "go to" option though which is what I was looking for. That's ok though.

_________________
The Gene Pool Needs More Chlorine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:34 pm
Posts: 401
Location: sydney
The evo 3 style of finned side vents were very popular in the late 90's/early 2000's


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 8:51 pm
Posts: 137
Location: w.a
Didnt Jeff Shoesmiff have louvers on his old green 1600? He might be able to help.. Also there was a online article I read a few years back on bonnet vents and putting them in the right location to either let air in or air out because of the different air pressure going over the car during acceleration, it might be worth a read.

Some other members who dont own rotaries may not understand the underbonnet temps a turbo rotary has in a small engine bay compared to piston engines. My datto is borderline but thats most likely because I run a air con condensor as well and on a very hot day driving with the air con on temps are borderline. If I did it again I may of thought about running the condensor at the rear of the car.

If I was you I would be more concerned about getting the engine etc installed and running then see how she goes on a hot day and whetheryou need vents.

_________________
My build-
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=26867&p=266789#p266789


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am
Posts: 108
Location: Rockhampton, QLD, Aus
rx510 wrote:
Didnt Jeff Shoesmiff have louvers on his old green 1600? He might be able to help.. Also there was a online article I read a few years back on bonnet vents and putting them in the right location to either let air in or air out because of the different air pressure going over the car during acceleration, it might be worth a read.

Some other members who dont own rotaries may not understand the underbonnet temps a turbo rotary has in a small engine bay compared to piston engines. My datto is borderline but thats most likely because I run a air con condensor as well and on a very hot day driving with the air con on temps are borderline. If I did it again I may of thought about running the condensor at the rear of the car.

If I was you I would be more concerned about getting the engine etc installed and running then see how she goes on a hot day and whetheryou need vents.


RX510,

Thanks for the reply dude. Appreciate it. I will try to find that article regarding vent placement. I was just looking around for the better part at the cars that do the cooling really well (EVO 7-9 etc). The lift at the front of that vent actually increases the lift in the high temp air. But... I have to try to find something a little more... model appropriate than a big ol' EVO vent. I KNOW those vents work crazy well but... would never suit the car.

I will try to track that article down I think. Thanks again mate.

_________________
The Gene Pool Needs More Chlorine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:36 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:28 pm
Posts: 5328
Location: Melbourne, Australia
When looking for high pressure zones and low pressure zones, the best bet is to find a car that is a similar shape and copy where they put their vents. Our cars have a low pressure zone close to the front of the bonnet (good for extraction of hot air), so you would have to mount the vents towards the front of the bonnet. The high pressure zone is where the factory have placed the windscreen wiper plenum and hence the vents. This means high pressure air can find its way into the cabin/engine bay where necessary.
Don't forget the high pressure zone where the front grille is. This will force high pressure air into the engine bay (and the frontal area is quite high) and pressurise the engine bay if the air can't get out.
Air flow is achieved by pressure differential.

_________________
1972 Datsun 1600, S14 SR20DET Engineered (190-210kw @ 15-16psi.)
http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6579
M35 Axis Autech


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am
Posts: 108
Location: Rockhampton, QLD, Aus
SR20Datsun wrote:
When looking for high pressure zones and low pressure zones, the best bet is to find a car that is a similar shape and copy where they put their vents. Our cars have a low pressure zone close to the front of the bonnet (good for extraction of hot air), so you would have to mount the vents towards the front of the bonnet. The high pressure zone is where the factory have placed the windscreen wiper plenum and hence the vents. This means high pressure air can find its way into the cabin/engine bay where necessary.
Don't forget the high pressure zone where the front grille is. This will force high pressure air into the engine bay (and the frontal area is quite high) and pressurise the engine bay if the air can't get out.
Air flow is achieved by pressure differential.


SR20Datsun,

They are kind of.. BRICKish :D Makes the aerodynamics of it a little... unorthodox. What I am hoping is that, with the placement of the turbocharger, there will be a low pressure area behind that. Given there is going to be a significant portion of the heat being created around that area, it'd be awful handy if that placement would work as it would offer the biggest benefit. What I am thinking though is that there wouldn't be a great deal of high velocity air moving over that area of the bonnet...

I will have to do some image searching I think... See what I can find.

Thanks for the reply mate.

_________________
The Gene Pool Needs More Chlorine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am
Posts: 108
Location: Rockhampton, QLD, Aus
My theory. The flow of the car (aero) does not really lend a hand in regards to venting further back.

What might work is a "small" vent at the rear or the bay on the driver's side, above the exhaust. The only time it will really be beneficial will be at idle/standing. The aero will have some use of a vent that far back but it'll be pretty hard to get it to be at its full potential I think.

From all the image I have seen of vented 510s, which is only a handful, most if not all are at the front of the bonnet. Most, as stated above, haven't decided to install the vents at all.

_________________
The Gene Pool Needs More Chlorine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 am
Posts: 93
The only venting I intend to use is a small single old Manaro type vent/ scoop.This I intend to fabricate in steel and weld in and have a bit of corresponding fibreglass ducting to aid in air intake for my twin webbers.Don't know about turbo's or rotaries though.All of my previously twin carbie Dattos never over heated as I ran genuine triple core radiators.I will fabricate extra bracing on the bonnet if I think it's needed.As to make it look as an intentional manufactured fixture I am doing a lost wax casting grill piece and getting it chromed.The grill pieces on the fair ladies are nice but are obviously far too wide.A bit of insulation on exhaust systems help control heat issues too
DatsEZ


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group