Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

What should I do with the centre of the simmons? Go to pg 8 for sample options
Polish 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
Black 71%  71%  [ 49 ]
Silver 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 69
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:12 am 

Gday Gents,
I’m Pedro and I’ve been a member of Ozdat for many years, having had a 200B as a first car, I always loved Datto’s, so after many years later, I have purchased another datto and here is my project, I purchase this 2 years ago (2005!) for a steal of $1000, car was complete without much rust, just on the rear qtr, few doors and behind the engine on fire wall, which is pretty much the standard for these cars..
Attachment:
at the car wash.JPG
at the car wash.JPG [ 198.25 KiB | Viewed 6469 times ]

As such, it had a bit if a hit at the front, so I sourced a new front end for it, well, just needed a new radiator support, and then the full body work…. :shock:

I ended up replacing both of the rear qtr’s, the driver side was a bit tricky as the metal behind it was worst, so I ended up replacing that whole section, check it out as there might be people out there doing the same thing and might be wondering how to do that… :thumbsup:

Along with the new front end, I ended up smoothing the engine bay, relocating the battery box to the boot and from then on its just wrench time… :)

Pic below, i couldn;t get a engine crane, so if ther is a will, there is a way, so i chopped it up (It was going anyway) and dragged the engine out! :)

Attachments:
PC310153.JPG
PC310153.JPG [ 46.49 KiB | Viewed 6471 times ]

Engine Management Sytem: Screwdriver!

Last edited by D4TSUN on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:47 am 

The engine bay was fully stitched welded for extra strength, and smoothed over then painted so I can put the engine in (Plan is to get the standard engine back in it, its an L18 sss, from a 180B sss, has the heart shape chamber with a W block) get it registered, and then save for an SR, however, the more I get into datto’s, the more I appreciate these old engines or period engine in them, good old L18 with twin 45 Web and extractors was the sh*t when I was 18yo!!!!!! I guess some of you blokes would probably get my drift…
Attachment:
P1190183.JPG
P1190183.JPG [ 67.52 KiB | Viewed 6464 times ]

Also note, All this was done in a single garage, even the paint job, mate of mine painted it, panel by panel, anyway, I’ll expand on that when we get to those pics….
Attachment:
P6160776.JPG
P6160776.JPG [ 31.25 KiB | Viewed 6461 times ]
Attachment:
P6160779.JPG
P6160779.JPG [ 31.51 KiB | Viewed 6461 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:09 am 

This is one of my favorite pics, checking colors against datto color chart!!..
Attachment:
paint showing color.JPG
paint showing color.JPG [ 137.11 KiB | Viewed 6470 times ]

Now rear qtr repair, I thought I’ll get a new section but the bit behind was fully rusted through so I made this sections up… its pretty stiff, and there is no place for the water to sit anywhere, so that’s alright!!..

Attachment:
rear qtr 7.JPG
rear qtr 7.JPG [ 38.28 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]

I made up this guard part and also put a flat plate on the boot floor

Attachments:
rear qtr1.JPG
rear qtr1.JPG [ 36.07 KiB | Viewed 6461 times ]
rear qtr2.JPG
rear qtr2.JPG [ 45.89 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]
rear qtr3.JPG
rear qtr3.JPG [ 43.98 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]
rear qtr4.JPG
rear qtr4.JPG [ 24.18 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 am 

So you're the guy who has the D4TSUN plates?

I was thinking of getting them but they were already taken lol

Nah man that's some fair effort on the 1600, specially if it's being done in a single car garage.

I'm moving out to my missus place and she only has a single car garage so I think I may take over when it comes down to the SR20 convo hahaha :lol:

What colour is that? looks like Harbour blue but more purple????

anyways man great to see yet another project up on here, cant wait to see it finished.....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:45 am 

Thanks for that mate, yeha I purchase the plates about 2 months ago I couln't believe they were available!.. The datto is almost ready, I was reading sr20datsun project and I thought I better post mine up, its almost ready to start, but found a snapped stud on the exhaust so I'm getting that fixed before I start it up again...

yeah the mrs wa a little pissed off when i wa spraying the car in the garage, as you can walk into the house from it!!.. and the fumes aren;t that nice, but its all done now, and I'm glad to be working on mechanical bits, i was getting pretty sick of body work, spent most of the last 2 years on getting it straight as an arrow, but it was all worth it, she;'s dead straight!!..
I'll keep on updating it soon..
Cheers mate..

Last edited by D4TSUN on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:14 am 

Well, here is the rear qtrs done, both sides, the passenger side was ok, as the muffler helped on that side, but it was rusty all along the wheel arc, so that go done also….

Attachment:
passenger rear qtr.JPG
passenger rear qtr.JPG [ 35.43 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]

Then it was the paint job……
Attachment:
datto with boot lid on.JPG
datto with boot lid on.JPG [ 34.53 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]

Attachment:
dead straight.JPG
dead straight.JPG [ 29.65 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]

The colour its out of a 2005 Holden Barina, it’s a purple blue, however, digital cameras don’t grab the color so whenever somes tells me, I love the color you see here, well, its not the same as in real flesh, I used up 6lr of paint and we had about 5 coats per panel of paint and 4 coats of clear. These pictures are of it off the gun, haven’t even polished it… oh, since it’s a garage job its acrylic too…. :)

Attachment:
P5041123.JPG
P5041123.JPG [ 51.35 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]

Attachment:
at the paint shop.JPG
at the paint shop.JPG [ 37.43 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]

Attachment:
grill on & new wheels.JPG
grill on & new wheels.JPG [ 37.02 KiB | Viewed 6464 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:21 am 

Then Suspension and undercarriage was done, I got some Koni’s all round, and Lovell HD springs, courtesy of another Ozdat member that decided to sell his datto in bits…
Hopefully this thread changes his mind!!.. :P
Attachment:
underside2.JPG
underside2.JPG [ 45.57 KiB | Viewed 6462 times ]
Attachment:
underside3.JPG
underside3.JPG [ 46.53 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]

The this is what it looks like with the suspension ona dn I just rested the bonnet on it...

Its getting close now, but this all took about 2 years, every thursday noight a couple of mates came over I supplied beer and pizza and that helped me with the datto...
There is NO WAY i could have done this without their help, so credit where credit is due..
Attachment:
almost1.JPG
almost1.JPG [ 38.56 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]
Attachment:
almost5.JPG
almost5.JPG [ 46.55 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]

and also got some new number plates for it.. :P
Attachment:
D4TSUN is born.JPG
D4TSUN is born.JPG [ 48.85 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:27 am 

Nice!

I like it :thumbsup:

I just wish my paint job would have been that good, I was in a rush because the guy doing the prep work had the car for over 3months and I needed my car asap so his mate who was moving shops told me he will paint it in 2pak but he didn't have his oven setup so I told him to do it anyways and blah it came out with heaps of orange peel and some runs here and there.

told me he was gonna do the door jams and engine bay later once He had gotten rid off some other cars he was working on but it never happened.

I might have to do a second take and get it all done again properly in an oven, and this time I'll get the door jams, engine bay and boot done in one go.

sorry to hijack lol :giggle:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 am 

Thats alright SIXTEN, one of my mates that came around working on it got "foxtel", anyway he was watching a show called overhauled and last september, I was ready to paint it, anyway, he learnt a few tricks and we did the whole body work again, I had it on 2 pac hi fill and we started again, I just finished getting it painted in april this year, but I'm glad we did that, she came out really straight... but I was pretty over body work.. I'm enjoying the spanners rather than sand paper!!..

well you know, you can always do it in stages, if its inside your doors, do one/ weekend... prepapre it during the week, and hit it on the weekend, then you're ready for next week... because I changed colpour in this, I had to strip the whole car, doors, etc... its a mega job that way...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:07 pm 

Yeah I was initially thinking on doing it my self since I had done a panel beating short course like 5yrs+ ago and still remember some of the stuff.

but yeah sanding and rubbing is a pain in the ass and I'm with you on that one, I'd rather the spaners over sand paper.

I could always get my brother in law to re-paint the car for me but atm I have my eyes set on doing other mods to the car than painting it.

I'm currently putting together the bits I need for my front end suspension and I will soon start on my rear brakes; fronts were done ages ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:26 pm 

haha, unless i can keep it at my parents til my lease is up and i can go somewhere with a shed, i have to sell up :(
and damo had sent me photos during the build, but i never got anything like those,
Looks great, springs match the car :P

Keep it L series, i know where to get webers cheap.

Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:35 pm 

Ryan,
Funny you say that, I got a pair of 45's and I picked up a set of genie extractors too, so its like, might as well put them on..
I'll keep on working on it, I just want it on the road then size up a new engine or work this one... but all in all its really clean..

Damo's put the engine in, lookes awesome, I told him he needs to put his car here... his SR carbon rocker cover looks awesome!!....

here is a pic of my engine bay... last night we did the brakes and oil up the diff, run out of time for the gearbox, as the rear brakes pistons are stuffed, getting new ones today....

Attachment:
engine bay.JPG
engine bay.JPG [ 41.78 KiB | Viewed 6465 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:17 pm 

haha, want me to post some photos of your car he's sent me?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:23 pm 

heres what i found

Attachments:
passenger side painted 7.JPG
passenger side painted 7.JPG [ 59.43 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]
passenger side painted 5.JPG
passenger side painted 5.JPG [ 87.23 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]
front side.JPG
front side.JPG [ 94 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]
Back2.JPG
Back2.JPG [ 62.23 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]
Back.JPG
Back.JPG [ 136.47 KiB | Viewed 6457 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:32 pm 

Awesome!,
I've got over 2000 pics of the build up, I thought i just put a few only, we spend over 6 months detailing and smoothing the engine bay, there are no welds/joint showing on it plus it was all stich welded...
I just thought i'll put only a few to show major milestones....
Well, thanks for those Ryan and keep the datto, sell the all wheel drive instead mate!!...

I just wanna drive mine!!...

Attachments:
in the garage.JPG
in the garage.JPG [ 46.8 KiB | Viewed 6459 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next