Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:06 pm 

Hi guys

I'm currently running a std rear brake setup but would like to go to an R31 disc rear, essentially to match the R31 front I'm running. Do you get a natural increase in rear track in doing this? If so, does anyone know by how much?

Thanks, Brett

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:48 pm 

Zero increase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:03 am 
Guru

.....because the thickness of the disc rotor hub equals that of the original drum ;)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:39 am 

Get a set of 240k trailing arms and change the shockie mounts to suit the 1600 shocks (cut and shut from original arms)
May not be road legal.
Or change the socks to suit.

This will give a wider track, about 10mm each side I think from memory. Bigger stronger arms and bearings too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:27 am 

Thanks guys. It was more a matter of evening out the track rather than a brake upgrade per se. Eg I've got 14x6 +35 front and 14x6 +9 on the rear, and have never really been happy with the way it looks. Thinking of going 15" now, but with equal offsets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 pm 

Re 240K trailing arms and rear brake upgrade. 240K units are similar to the 510 trailing arms, but different in a couple of arguably important ways. The spring seats are "beefed up" by virtue of an insert welded in 15-20mm from the bottom. To maintain the ride height if installed in a 1600 / 510 you will need slightly shorter springs. The factory installs a doubler plate to strengthen the area just ahead of where the axle goes through the arm (which is where 1600 /510 ones bend - I broke a couple when competing in rallies). Shock mounts do not line up, so you will have to fabricate new ones or cut off from donor 1600 /510 ones. You will need to make up a jig to ensure correct location when you weld the shock mounts on.
There is another reason for choosing to install 240K trailing arms: Z31 5-stud axles fit: you will need axles, bearings, spacers, nut and inboard flange from the Z31 . You need to make sure that the adjusting piece (spacer) between the bearings is the same length. They come in three lengths and most common ones are the middling size. They are marked "M" in the 240K = "B" in Z31. If you choose to use Z31 axle flanges (four bolts - inboard), then some cutting and welding is needed.
Fitted to 1600 / 510 with Z31 axles mean I can run R32 / R33 16 x 6.6 +40 offset wheels and these JUST fit with slight rolling of the guards (a hammer job). Wider track and matches the front of my car which is 35mm wider track because I have built a rack-and-pinion conversion with 5-stud hubs and 4-spot callipers. Both front and rear wheels fit within the guards without flares. The car looks surprisingly original, but has more aggressive stance due to wider track and 5-stud wheels with 205/45/16 tyres.
I made up custom brackets to fit R31 calipers and Z31 rear discs (~290mm).